Thursday, December 18, 2008

Slumdog Millionaire - Danny Boyle

What I discovered three years ago will be discovered by many in 2009 , that Danny Boyle is a genius. He recently concluded the shooting of Slumdog Millionaire in Mumbai with a budget of just $5 million. It gained a strong buzz after getting screened at some film fests. It put to rest Danny's fear that the film would have trouble finding distributors in North America and would go straight to DVD. That would have been a shame.

The movie has a beginning in Hindi because it was hard to find child actors who could speak fluent English. To make it more acceptable to English audiences exciting subtitles were later added. The director also befriended curious onlookers while shooting to control the crowds.


In 2004 I was surfing Imdb when I recalled 'Life less ordinary' the Cameron Diaz flick which at that time I thought was very provocative. So I went to the directors page ( Danny Boyle) and decided to give my own theory of following directors a try. So I decided to download Millions (2004).

Millions is a British movie about a 7 yr old boy in London who decides to help others after he discovers a bag full of Pounds near his house. He is often visited by Saints ( of biblical and later periods) . They encourage him to continue his good work. Unlike his elder brother who is a typical brat and decides to spend newly found cash on girls, he donates enough to make people suspicious. Millions has a very decent story and strong ending. No doubt it was a "Drop everything you are doing and go see it" movie. I recommend it 130.577

Sunshine was directed by Danny Boyle in 2007. I downloaded it too and it turned out to be as good as Millions. Sunshine is a story set in future when our Sun is dying after burning much of its hydrogen fuel. A mission is sent to recharge the sun and make it life-supporting again. What all happens on the team's journey to Sun is worth my shutting up and letting you enjoy the flick. Some scenes depicting the Sun are totally awesome. Typical British movie with English actors.
I recommend it a 124.78 %

Slumdog millionaire (2008) - Frankly It has generated too much excitement for even Boyle. Nobody expected it to do so well. It has won many awards so far and has been nominated for four Golden Globes. That doesn't matter to me actually. One Critic says "What I feel for this movie isn't just admiration, it's mad love." Since I cant find a torrent for Slumdog Millionaire I haven't seen it yet. Only thing I can say is 'Dying to see this one'.

Its a story which revolves around a Mumbai slum boy Jamal Malik who gets to the last question in the millionaire quiz show and is taken away by cops who suspect Jamal has cheated. Based on the book ' Q and A ' by Vikas Swarup. see Slumdog Millionaire reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home